Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy
Research Interests: Philosophy of Mind, Epistemology, Philosophy of Language
Susanna Siegel received her PhD from Cornell University. She currently works on topics in the philosophy of mind and epistemology. Her books The Contents of Visual Experience (2010) and The Rationality of Perception (2017) were both published by Oxford University Press. Other publications include:
- “Inference without Reckoning”. In M. Balcerak-Jackson and B. Balcerak-Jackson, eds. New Essays on Reasoning. Oxford University Press.
- “Rich or Thin?” Debate with Alex Byrne about the contents of perception. In Contemporary Debates in the Philosophy of Perception. Ed. B. Nanay. Routledge. 2016.
- “How is Wishful Seeing like Wishful Thinking?” In Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. 2016.
- “Epistemic Charge” Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society. 2015.
- “Epistemic Evaluability and Perceptual Farce” In J. Zeimbekis and A. Raftopoulos. New Essays in Cognitive Penetration. Oxford University Press. 2015.
- “Cognitive Penetrability: Modularity, Epistemology, and Ethics” with Zoe Jenkin. Review of Psychology and Philosophy. 2015.
- The Epistemology of Selection Effects (2013) in Oxford Studies in Epistemology. Ed. T. Gendler. Book Symposium on The Contents of Visual Experience. With comments by John Campbell, Jesse Prinz and Charles Travis.
- "The Epistemic Impact of the Etiology of Experience", forthcoming in Philosophical Studies as a Symposium with responses by Richard Fumerton, Michael Huemer and Matthew McGrath.
- "Cognitive Penetrability and Perceptual Justification", Noûs 2012
- "The Visual Experience of Causation", Philosophical Quarterly (2009)
- "The Epistemic Conception of Hallucination", in F. Macpherson, Ed, Disjunctivism: Perception, Knowledge and Action (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- "Indiscriminability and the Phenomenal", Philosophical Studies 120 (2004)
- "Which Properties are Represented in Perception?" in T. Gendler and J. Hawthorne, Perceptual Experience (Oxford University Press, 2006)
- "The Role of Perception in Demonstrative Reference," Philosophers' Imprint (2002)
- "Subject and Object in the Contents of Visual Experience," Philosophical Review 115:3 (2006)
- "How Does Visual Phenomenology Constrain Object-seeing?" Australasian Journal of Philosophy (2006)
- "Direct Realism and Perceptual Consciousness," Philosophy & Phenomenological Research (2006)
- "Presupposition and Policing in Complex Demonstratives," Noûs 40 (2006)
- "The Phenomenology of Efficacy", Philosophical Topics (2006)
Copies of these papers and others can be found on Professor Siegel's website.